Monday, April 6, 2009

Day 56- 2005 Elyse Zinfandel for $20 at Binnys

We originally heard of the Elyse Winery when troy and I and his parents went to San Francisco on vacation. This is one of the four wineries we visited in September 2006. We loved the white wine this winery put out, in fact, Troy's parents eventually tried to buy a case of that white wine, however it was sold out. This zinfandel is not sweet, however, the aroma of this wine is pure fruit. This is a fruity wine that is dark with lots of berry flavors with a slightly dry finish. I chill this wine to probably a little cooler than it should be to take the edge off some of the tannins. I drank this wine with pizza and with cake. I find this wine to be very versatile, however I think it is more of an evening wine and not a hot summer day wine. This wine could be used at any dinner party, because I believe that it could pair with most dishes. I think the zinfandel grape is a very good bridge from sweet wines to semi-sweet wines with its big fruity flavors and its bold almost chewy tannins. I like this winery and will try more of their wines even if they tend to be on the drier side since the vintner is just that good at this winery.

No comments:

Post a Comment