Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day 179-Medici Lambrusco Reggiano for $4.99 at Trader Joes

We were running low on wine, and as usual we are running low on money, so we decided to go to Trader Joe's to try some of their wines. Trader Joes is home of the "two buck chuck" and has been raved about in other blogs about their extremely reasonable prices for good wine. So we bought 11 bottles of various wines there and only spent about $73 dollars including tax. The average per bottle was less than $7, however if the wine is not good, for all these wines are new to us in terms of brand, then it is still wasted money. However, on a side note, the checker at Trader Joes told us that if we are unhappy with a wine to bring it back and they will refund the money, and I will, because I refuse to wine/money down the drain. Back to the wine, I like Lambrusco both white and red, and bought many a bottle at Winestlyes for $10, I think the name was d'Amici and it also came in red and white. This Lambrusco is not as good as that wine. This wine is a touch drier, without the vibrant fruit flavors. I found this wine kind of dull in terms of taste, a small touch of sweetness and effervescence, but not what I am used to in comparison to the Lambruso's I have drank previously. My better half says it is worth $5, and I say I would have rather have the other Lambrusco for $8-$10. However, it is a simple wine and went good with steak tacos. It is a great summer wine chilled and even thought it is chilled it is a very good apertif wine for the fall and winter that won't break the bank. 1 down and 10 to go of the Trader Joes wines to see if the quality has dropped off with the price, this wine I would say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment