Saturday, January 24, 2009

Day 9-Mount Pleasant's Harvest Red found at Winestyles in Des Plaines for about $11.00

This bottle of wine almost was not to be because I put it in the freezer to chill it fast and forgot about it until the next morning. My mom found it in the freezer frozen solid and left it out to defrost. She was surprised the entire bottle did not bust in the freezer and wondered since it was alcohol why it froze at all.
The reason it froze is because unlike a vodka which is 80 proof and does not freeze when you put it in the freezer, this bottle is about 7% alcohol or 14 proof. This wine is your classic concord wine, basically your alcoholic grape juice. Welch's grape juice uses the same type of grapes, hence there are great similarities between the Harvest Red and the Welch's grape juice. This is a very fragrant wine with a very grapey nose and is light and sweet. It is a sweet wine that tastes very similar to grape juice which why I would really never pair it with food. This wine may be best with cheeses and desserts, however this is one of my favorite concord's. My better half is also a big fan of this wine, he loves most concord's and at this price you really can't go wrong. It is a great beginner's wine for someone who likes grape juice and has really never tried wine or believes all wine is dry.

1 comment:

  1. Grapejuice, yes, but I think of it more like a grape jelly sandwich without the bread. Picture that smuckers jar, and take a spoonful. That's Mt. Pleasant! Well, similar anyway. My parents aren't big drinkers but when I was growing up, the only wine we ever had in the house was concord wine. It truly was the first type of wine I ever had. I have taken this wine for them to try and they liked it too. Any concord is going to be sweet, and being readily available for $11 a bottle, it's a thumbs up for me!

    ReplyDelete